Primary Health Tasmania (PHT) and the Tasmanian Health Service commissioned the development of an integrated eReferral system for Tasmania. A six-month Proof of Concept (PoC) trial of the minimum viable product (MVP) commenced in April 2020 to test the system. PHT required an evaluation of the trial to understand the benefits and limitations of the MVP that can inform the rollout of an eReferral system across the entire Tasmanian primary care system.
HMA was commissioned to:
- review and establish a baseline for eReferral outcomes measures
- develop an evaluation plan for a six-month PoC trial of the MVP eReferral solution across two referral scenarios:
- primary care referrals between private providers, including allied health providers
- primary care to Tasmanian Health Service (THS) outpatient referrals
- implement the evaluation plan over a six-month trial period identifying opportunities for further development of the solution to increase usability, efficiency, and effectiveness for wider rollout
- document and present the PoC evaluation findings and recommendations.
The evaluation was carried out in five stages and was completed in June 2021.