Turning Point (Eastern Health) is a national addiction treatment centre, dedicated to providing high-quality, evidence-based treatment services. With funding from the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Turning Point engaged HMA to analyse current workforce models for addiction specialists in Victoria and to develop recommendations to improve the sustainability and effectiveness of the workforce providing addiction medicine services. Key tasks included:
- a rapid literature review of emerging models
- key stakeholder consultation
- development of a drug and alcohol workforce model based on the Drug and Alcohol Service Planning Model for Australia adapted to the current Victorian environment
- desktop analysis of six to eight different system models and assess their suitability for the Victorian context
- case study analysis of how the models could operate in four Victorian sub-regional geographies
- comparison of case study findings and identify a preferred addiction medicine specialist workforce model/s for Victoria
- development of an implementation plan for the preferred model/s.
The project commenced in late August 2019 and was completed in December 2020.