Development of an ovarian cancer support and resources plan (2016‒17) and Update (2021) – Ovarian Cancer Australia
Ovarian Cancer Australia (OCA) provides support and resources for women affected by ovarian cancer and their families. Their vision is to save lives and ensure that no woman with ovarian cancer walks alone. OCA engaged HMA in 2016 to develop an Ovarian Cancer Support and Resources Plan.
The objectives of the project were to:
- Undertake an analysis of all current ovarian cancer support services nationally.
- Review best practice support care in ovarian (and other cancers) internationally.
- Establish national priorities in ovarian cancer support services.
- Identify the roles for OCA in meeting these goals.
- Identify partnerships and mechanisms to extend OCA’s support services.
HMA and OCA worked in partnership to achieve the above project objectives. Key tasks in the project included:
- Literature scan: HMA undertook a scan of literature to identify best practice support services and delivery pathways.
- Stakeholder consultations: HMA and OCA developed and distributed surveys to consumers and experts in ovarian cancer to gather their perspectives on future priorities for support services and the role OCA should play in facilitating their delivery. HMA also conducted telephone interviews with a wide group of consumers to enhance the understanding of women’s needs.
- Working group: HMA and OCA facilitated a working group of key stakeholders to discuss the findings and consider the recommendations developed in previous stages.
- Final report preparation: HMA incorporated the project findings and working group recommendations into a final report – the Ovarian Cancer Support and Resources Plan.
In 2021, OCA re-engaged HMA to undertake a review and update of their Ovarian Cancer Support and Resources Plan to ensure they are continuing to provide the most relevant information to both health professionals and families affected by ovarian cancer. Key tasks in the project included:
- Stakeholder consultations: HMA in collaboration with OCA reviewed and updated the 2017 surveys to include questions about new services and changing support requirements. HMA also undertook focus groups looking at barriers to accessing support and resources, and the emerging needs of women with ovarian cancer. HMA undertook a thematic analysis of these focus group responses. Comparisons were made to 2017 findings where relevant to understand the changing needs and/or responses to new services.
- Working group: HMA facilitated a working group of key stakeholders to review findings from the surveys and consider recommendations.
- Final report: HMA incorporated findings into a final report – the Ovarian Cancer Support and Resources Plan 2021.
The initial project commenced in October 2016 and was completed in June 2017, while the update commenced in March 2021 and was completed in December 2021.