The Eastern Melbourne PHN engaged HMA to co-design a ‘Healthy Ageing’ Service response for the EMPHN catchment. The service response was a whole-of-person response tailored to the needs of the EMPHN catchment and included mental health, alcohol and other drugs (AOD), psychosocial, and physical health needs of older people both in the community and residential aged care facilities.
Key tasks included:
- Formulation of a detailed project management plan and project methodology
- A literature scan on:
- national and Victorian policy and international and national guidelines regarding aged care and healthy ageing – considering physical health and mental health domains, and
- best practice interventions for older persons with mental health issues, including suicidal ideation, AOD problems, and psychosocial disability.
- A formative evaluation of two older persons mental health pilots commissioned by EMPHN
- Consultation with other PHNs around Australia to assess the viability of comparable healthy ageing service models
- Co-design of the Healthy Ageing Service Model through a series of workshops involving all relevant stakeholder groups
- Synthesis of a final report.
This project commenced in July 2019 and was completed in March 2020.